Dec 27. What can we expect for 2023? The urge to dust off the crystal ball and take a look ahead is irresistible:
- International travel will eventually return full force in 2023, led by business and leisure travelers to and from China.
- S. domestic leisure travel is back, and business travel will soon follow.
- S. international travel is coming back too. A recent pollsays 31% of Americans are more interested in international travel than domestic.
- Airline stocks will come back as U.S. and international travelers do.
- Cruise lines, too, will come back. An eye-opening article in The Streetshowed that Royal Caribbean and Carnival have an interesting strategy to counter destinations like Venice and Key West banning the big boats.
- But not every destination will ban cruise ships or say, “Tourist go home.” Many destinations will mute their destructive hardball campaign against tourists.
- Virtual travel, while an interesting concept, will be a tough sell. The idea is that groups will “go on” a live tour on Zoom led by a local guide.
- Flying carswill not arrive, again. I look forward to seeing new flying car mock-ups at CES 2023 and will try not to mock the “movement” too hard.
- Middle Eastern travel will continue to grow, with the success of the Abraham Accord and the opening of Saudi Arabia.
- Airline dreamers will keep dreaming impossible dreams.